Articles and News Releases
I have written articles on local news and civic issues, nature and outdoor recreation, science and technology, education, health and safety, home improvement and gardening, and general human interest topics.
I have written over two dozen profiles of notable individuals and organizations in the Kalamazoo area, including the following:
- Canadian singer-songwriter, Ferron (March 2013)
- Southwest Michigan Land Conservancy (January 2013)*
- Physical education teacher, Karen Anderson (November 2012)
- Transformations Spirituality Center (September 2012)
- Food Dance restaurant owner, Julie Stanley (February 2012)*
- Jeff Smith and the Bells of Kalamazoo College (December 2011)
- Betsy Start, Michigan Festival of Sacred Music (November 2011)*
- Marty Kakuk researches her grandmother, Florence Inch (September 2011)
- Maria Brennan’s Victorian Bakery & Dale Anderson’s Confections With Convictions (February 2011)
- Black Arts and Cultural Center Director, Sid Ellis (December 2010)*
- Kim and Mimi’s Neighborhood: Kim and Mimi Cummings (November 2010)
- A Philosophy Emerges From a Difficult Life, Andrew Targowski (April 2010)
- Theatrical Family Kathy Mulay and Denene Mulay-Koch (December 2009)*
- MRC Industries President, Chris Zeigler (May 2009)
* cover stories
I wrote the following articles as community relations coordinator for Kalamazoo Nature Center. These appeared in a monthly column about nature center events and programs and a weekly nature column.
- Community Wildlife Program
- Time in the Woods is Good for the Soul
- Noted Environmentalist Inspires Hope
- Nature Center Hosts Traveling Art Exhibit
I wrote the following articles as a correspondent for the paper’s marketing department. These how-to and advice articles appeared in special advertising supplements.
- Get Regular Roof Inspections
- October is Child Health Month
- Changing Careers
- Learn Healthy Eating Habits
- Gardening Advice
I wrote over 100 news and feature articles for a suburban Chicago newspaper group.
- High Tech Teacher of the Year
- School District Reviews Technology Options
- Forest Preserve to Allow New Bike Trail
- Family Shelters Help Break Cycle of Abuse
- Business License Fees to Increase
- Couple Runs Grocery Shopping Service
- Article for Newsletter of Kellogg Biological Station: Determining Healthier Way to Raise Dairy Cows
- Article for Wild Bird News: Birding Event
- Article for Corporate Newsletter: Software Usability
- Letter to Editor: Installation of Church Bells
- Press Release: Environmental Science Academy Contracts with Nature Center
I served three years as volunteer editor of a quarterly association journal. I have copy-edited an instructional guide book for property tax assessors, newsletters and annual reports for a large non-profit nature center, several papers for research journals, and various other documents.
I have authored on-line help systems and training manuals for multiple products of a governmental software company. In addition, I produced configuration and implementation documentation for system administrators. I also created and maintained a style guide for documentation standards and monitored user interface standards and usability.